Thursday, June 05, 2008

Totally not me...

So I don't normally blog about the political circus going on in America right now, but I have to get this off my chest. Really. IF you don't like it, tough. But check back later for a non-political post.
I have serious issues with the delegate system, and the electoral college in general, but they are in place, and it isn't going to change. But that is not what I want to write about. What really torks me off is the Florida and Michigan delegates for this year's primary. Rules are rules, people. (And really, this applies to things other than politics too.) Why is it that YOUR STATES broke the rules, but it is the DNC's fault your delegates weren't going to count? What is our country coming to that makes it okay to break the rules and then whine about not getting what you want (i.e. the delegates you 'deserve') Yes, voting is a right, and an important one to boot, but why didn't someone say, "If my vote won't count, why should I go out and vote." Tell your elected officials to put the primary back to it's proper time. Stage a protest against your state, who is so needy and power hungry that they wanted to shape this election, and therefore broke party rules so they could vote earlier than the rest of the country. Don't tell me they didn't try to schedule their primaries before the caucus and primaries of Iowa and New Hampshire. Moving their primary up so far caused a lot of problems for those states, and you don't hear them whining about how having a caucus on January 3rd ruined their holiday vacations. (For the record, it did, we had to cut ours 4 days short.)
So Florida, Michigan, step up, and be adults. Don't say you will never ever vote for Barack Obama because HE stripped you of YOUR delegates. HE had nothing to do with it. The DNC and the candidates did what they all thought was fair to give you the delegates you lost fair and square. Don't say "I'm switching to Republican," or "I'm voting independent" because you didn't get your way.
Okay. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. Please check back soon for our regularly scheduled, non-political post. Oh, and don't hate me for my opinion. :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally agree. I was pissed when they gave 1/2 votes to Florida. I mean FLORIDA? After what they did to Al Gore. They deserved to be punished.

Here from NCLM.

Queenie. . . said...

I totally agree. It drove me crazy when they moved up their primaries, and I've been even more annoyed with them ever since it became apparent that the votes from those states actually mattered quite a bit. The people who blame everyone else, though--idiots. They knew what the result would be when they broke the rules.

Unknown said...

Hey There!

Thanks for your comment on my blog! You little boy is a doll!

Kristine said...

I completely agree!